Sunday, December 8, 2013

Quick & Convenient Homemade Layered Mexican Meal

This post isn't about scales, tales, or any animal. It's not exactly about artwork either but since culinary arts can fall into this category I thought it would be appropriate to post on my blog. Who doesn't want an easy go to healthy mexican recipe to make at home?

So since becoming a vegetarian almost 2 years ago, I have broadened the types of food that I eat and am willing to try. I used to fear spicy foods, avoid Mexican, and basically stay away from anything foreign. But since I stopped eating meat (which for me was basically just chicken & turkey) I needed to find healthy alternatives to avoid eating constant carbs and junk-food and keep a balanced and tasty diet. I tried new things- one being Mexican which ever since has been one of my favorites. I now love mildly spicy foods and burritos are my favorite. Unfortunately it isn't always convenient to run out every time I crave a burrito and there are always nights when I just want a quick and easy recipe. So one night I made up my own with some things I already had at home. This recipe is for burrito filling/burrito bowl/a ton of mexican ingredients in a bowl/whatever you want to call it, and it's super easy and can be made in 15 minutes or less. Recipe serves about 4-6 people. Adjustments can be found at end of ingredients list to make recipe non-vegetarian or vegan.

Ingredients:

3 cups of instant rice (brown or white, whatever your preference)
1 can of black beans
1 can of other beans of your choice (I used trader joe's vegetarian chili with beans and tofu- spicy, has protein and is delicious!)
3 soft avocados, mashed
2 cups of salsa, spiciness of your choice
1 cup of vegan sour cream

*Optional additional ingredients: shredded vegan cheese, and sauteed vegetables. To make recipe vegan, just exclude the sour cream or yogurt!


Directions

First, boil or cook rice in the microwave according to directions, and place in a large bowl or casserole dish. Spread the top smooth.

Next, spread beans over the rice in a smooth layer. 

Spread and smooth mashed avocados over layer of beans.

Pour salsa on top of the avocado.


Scoop vegan sour cream on top. 

And wah-lah you're all done! Scoop through the layers to fill up wraps to make burritos, scoop into bowls and serve as a platter, or use as a dip with tortilla chips and enjoy! Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer and reheated.

No comments:

Post a Comment