Monday, October 11, 2021

Mystic Canyon Yoga Retreat 2021

This past August, I had the great pleasure of participating in a yoga retreat with one of my best friends and 11 other fantastic women on a Mystic Canyon Excursion.

  

I met Megan back in college at Rutgers through student leadership activities, and after we quickly discovered we had the same birthday and eerily similar personalities we became self-declared twins and have had a strong bond every since. Almost 2 years ago, Megan and I were catching up via FaceTime and she shared her excitement about an upcoming trip to Arizona for a retreat that was to further enhance her yoga and teaching skills (she’s a yoga instructor in North Jersey!). I’m nowhere near her level of yoginess, but I do yoga often and use the practice to work on my meditation… and to stretch my body since I’m pretty active and fit. At the time of our chat, I was struggling with practicing regularly and saw this as an opportunity to get back on track— I also am obsessed with Arizona (it’s in my opinion one of the most beautiful states), so I was already hooked on the idea and totally invited myself. It only tempted me more knowing that the retreat was 100% vegan and included excursions to local breweries and Arizona natural wonders. “OMG — can I come?!” I asked her. She connected me up with one of the leaders of the trip, Cheryl and I learned they had just one spot open on the trip. Meant to be? After going on the trip I have to say it definitely was because this experience was magical and really changed my life! I’m even already booked for one of the next Daydream Yoga Retreats in 2022.




At the height of Covid, the original trip date for August of 2020 was sadly canceled and the plans were understandably moved to 2021. Already waiting so long for the 2020 trip was painful and now another year to go made it feel like ions away. Megan and I eagerly waited for the trip and to be reunited (she lives in NJ and I live in FL so we don’t see each other often). Eventually, August of this year became closer and closer and before we knew it we were both packing our bags and boarding separate planes to meet up in Phoenix on August 21. My husband drove me to the Orlando airport and we attended a Disney pin trading event beforehand (yes.. we are nerds!) which made it a very exciting day all around for me. I was so excited to finally meet the organizers and other women who were mostly from NJ & NY.. and one from TN. I was the outcast from Florida but it made it even more exciting to find new adventures in new territory with completely new people.



The first night that we arrived, we stayed in a cute home in Scottsdale, AZ. The home had a pool, trendy furniture, Cheryl’s home cooked vegan meals and bunk beds that caused me to bump my head every night because bunking on the top bed of 3, I was only inches away from the ceiling. Once everyone arrived we chowed down on wholesome vegan bowls of veggies and lentils while sharing fun facts about ourselves and voting on ridiculous “would you rather” scenarios. For example, “would you rather spend the rest of your life spitting on everyone you talk to when you talk to them, or getting spit on whenever anyone ever talks to you?” That was just one of the most mild questions we were asked but they were so funny they made us bond with one another quickly and caused hours of laughing our asses off (and caused a lot of made up scenarios we asked one another throughout the rest of the trip).

The next morning we woke at sunrise for yoga in the courtyard outside and then went tubing down salt river accompanied by wild horses. It gave us all a chance to bond with each other and have a fun laid back time. 



We went to OHSO Brewery for lunch and drinks and had some down time to relax before our evening Kundalini workshop. We wore all white and experienced an intense spiritual practice. This was followed by a delicious tofu noodle bowls made by Cheryl.

The following day we awoke at sunrise to more yoga and adorable banana boats filled with plant based yogurt and fresh fruit that Brittany made us. We packed our bags and headed to Hole in the Rock at Papago Park to hang out and take some pictures. This was a mildly short hike up to a fun view and it fortunately wasn’t crowded at all when we arrived. 



We had lunch and drinks at Arizona Wilderness Brewery and continued our drive on to Sedona where we finally arrived at our “castle” deep in the mountains at the end of Moonlight Drive. I refer to our new home base as a castle because it literally was.. a ridiculously huge home with enough rooms and living space for far more than the 13 of us. With a kitchen the size of my entire house, a large pool and hot tub with gorgeous views of the red rock formations, a large yard perfect for stargazing with a giant pond, a private courtyard area, indoor gardens, many bedrooms and bathrooms, a laundry room we were able to use, and a yoga studio for our daily group practice. The house was built by recycled and sustainable materials by members in the community and was just one of the many exciting things on the next leg of our trip in Northern Arizona. We didn’t even realize how much magic was yet to come. We concluded this evening with yoga practice and a Thai takeout buffet in the comfortably oversized kitchen.

The next day Brittany and Cheryl had bagged breakfasts of avocado sandwiches and fruit already made and ready to go which we grabbed so we could head out to Antelope Canyon! Antelope Canyon was one of the most gorgeous places I’ve ever visited. We had a private tour within the underground V shaped red rock canyon where light trickled in from above to illuminate the awe-worthy rock formations. We hiked, took photos, and even did some yoga in the canyons. I have endless photos from these unique views looking in, down, and up through the red rock walls. 


    

We stopped at a gift stand with homemade art and crafts by the local Native American tribes that offered dreamcatchers, jewelry and spirit animal statues. We also stopped in Flagstaff on the way home for lunch before returning later to more yoga practice and dinner in the castle. By this point, several ladies would opt out of evening yoga if they were too tired or not in the mood and it was perfectly acceptable and okay, which made everything in our schedule feel more fluid and natural. I tend to be a bit of an overachiever and pushed myself to practice every single session on this trip even when I was tired though, because this retreat was my personal chance to learn and do more yoga to bring back into my regular schedule at home. I don’t regret it because each class was really different, led by either Brittany or Cheryl and had it’s own energy that made it necessary for me throughout the trip.

The next day we awoke to a hearty breakfast and then headed out before sunrise to hike up to a special meditation spot on an energy vortex at Cathedral Rock! We did what was the most amazing yoga session I’ve ever taken part of, led by a local instructor from Sedona. We did a lot of energy work as the sun rose over the rocks and she left us each with our own crystal to take home from our experience. The magic felt in this vortex was tangible and noticeable, cosmic and mysteriously powerful. The iron oxide built up in the rock’s sandstone layers is known to have metaphysical healing properties that recharge and help one discover themself more deeply. People travel from all over the world to experience Sedona’s ability to heal. This was one of the most energetically magical moments I can remember experiencing in my lifetime so far.


    


After our practice we had the chance to hike up to visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross or go to a Juicery (as a fruit loving Jew I chose the latter) and gulfed down a much needed smoothie and a juice. As much as the food was healthy on our trip I had been doing a fruit cleanse beforehand which I felt amazing from and my body was begging me for more fruit. The Local Juicery was one of the best Juice Bars I’ve ever been to and their selection was amazingly delicious and fresh. They had a cute wellness shop in the Juicery as well with local goods and plant based nutrition.


 


After our recharge, we visited Amitabha Stupa and Peace Park - a sacred place for prayer and personal ritual. We went back to the castle for a homemade lunch and chance to relax, before the optional excursion into town to shop in an Art Village and area with touristy shops. Walking amongst the unique shops with the red rocks towering behind them was very fun and memorable. Megan and I went off the beaten track to explore fun shops but grab much needed essentials like crystals, Sedona stickers and apparel like the tourists that we are. We all made our way into “Crystal Magic” - one of the largest metaphysical stores I’ve ever seen. Part of our group then went off to another optional activity - an adventure Jeep tour through the mountains and cliffs of Sedona. I envisioned something like this might be cheesy or too touristy but it seriously was such a blast! Our guide was knowledgeable and funny.. teaching us about an interesting human use for every plant we passed by and sharing true stories of how wolves and ravens often bond in the desert. We were strapped into the rugged vehicle which bounced and sped off the beaten track, leaving us practically dangling off the sides of cliffs and watching the sunset with a backdrop of mountains and cacti while rocking and bouncing in a way that reminded me of the Dinosaur ride at Disney World. Naturally, we hit up a dispensary on our way home to the castle (recreational marijuana is legal in AZ) and had quite an “interesting” night of yoga and dinner afterwards. From what I remember at least (haha)… I’ll just leave the details at that 🤣


 


Our final full day of the retreat included a slightly later rising time just after sunrise, followed by breakfast, Brittany’s homemade banana bread and a drive up to the Grand Canyon! We explored the south rim trails.. taking photos, doing handstands on edges of cliff and sitting while letting our feet dangle hundreds of feet above the canyon’s base.


  


We stopped for lunch at Cameron Trading Post.. definitely a touristy spot but with authentic Navajo crafted souvenirs and amazing authentic food like tacos and chili with fry bread (and yes there were vegan options - I enjoyed the vegetarian chili with dry unfried bread!) and an enormous gift shop. We came home to some relaxation time and the first yoga session that was mandatory. Cheryl and Brittany planned a special experience for all of us to radiate the energy of love to one another and write down memories and notes to everyone so that we all had something tangible to bring home and relive our memories later on after the trip was over.

Our final day we awoke to pack our stuff and head to the airport. We all had varying departure times but arrived together and waited in groups by our gates with our luggage after sharing hugs and tears. We had extra time to enjoy some Mexican food in the airport which had great vegan options and drinks. I was the only one heading back to Florida so I hung out at Megan’s gate until my plane boarded. I somehow got lucky enough to have my own row all to myself so I spread out with the tacky Mexican blanket I bought in Sedona and ate bags of fruit and vegetables I snagged from the castle’s fridge (we were encouraged to take food before it got thrown out when Cheryl was cleaning out the kitchen.) I enjoyed back to back action movies and before I knew it I was back in Florida and heading home from a wonderful and memorable trip! 



A little more about the yoga retreat:

Our leaders Cheryl and Brittany are business partners and yoga instructors that lead “Daydream Yoga Retreats”. Their retreat destinations span throughout the US and even into other countries (next year I’m joining them on a “Soul Safari” in Africa!). The retreats are affordable and include luxurious accommodations, transportation to and from the airport and to all excursions, all plant-based meals, every adventure and organized activity, plus the ease of having everything planned for you. What all you have to do is book a flight and then get on it with a bag packed with the guide of their packing list. The only expenses not included in the trip is airfare and any meals eaten out of the home (such as breweries or restaurants, but we each got one free drink paid for at each brewery). These gals are beautiful humans, teachers, friends, cooks, organizers, leaders, and tour guides. I will attend every trip I’m able to in the future because the whole experience was stress free, filled with adventure, helpful for my personal yoga practice and so much fun! Although the days all sounded busy we still had plenty of down time every day, which were used to chill by the pool, hang out in the hot tub, call our loved ones at home, take naps, journal, just hang out or read. Brittany and Cheryl fully stocked the castle with food and drinks that were accessible all the time and the option to opt out of any activity if any of us weren’t feeling it (I didn’t opt out of anything though because I wanted to experience it all!) The food was all healthy and wholesomely plant-based.. I was the only vegan out of the entire group but even the meat lovers in the group thoroughly enjoyed the food. Meals ranged from Thai to build your own tofu bowls, to soup and salads, to overnight oats and avocado sandwiches and so much more. Cheryl and Brittany planned, led, and added extra magic to an already unforgettable experience of just being in such beautiful parts of Arizona.


No comments:

Post a Comment